Modifications Lawyers in Maryland Protect Mens’ Rights

The dedicated team at the Carmiece Graves Law Firm helps
men reach their goals when it comes to modifying court orders.


If you need to have the court modify an order for child support, custody, visitation, or alimony, it is important to act quickly. While the court may agree to your requested modification, the changes are likely to only apply to the future, and not date back to the time when your circumstances changed.

Whether you are seeking a modification or trying to stop one, talk to the team at the Carmiece Graves Law Firm about how we can help. Most modification cases—even those involving custody—often boil down to financial matters. With experience handling complex financial issues, the team at the Carmiece Graves Law Firm knows how to explain the impact of financial changes to demonstrate why modification should or should not be made. We are dedicated to protecting men’s rights in Maryland in a variety of ways.

What is a Modification and When Can You Get One?

In family law terms, a modification-- sometimes called a “post-judgement” modification—is a change in the terms of the order approved by the court. A modification could involve factors such as:

  • Changing the amount paid for child support
  • Redistribution of child custody to a shared or sole custody arrangement
  • Discontinuing or extending alimony payments
  • What happens when a parent with custody wants to move out of state
  • Changes in visitation rights
  • Division of property based on fraudulent information

Generally, to succeed with a request for a modification in a court order, you must show that circumstances have changed substantially. A parent moving out of state is one example. If a parent with custody wants to move, the other parent may have custody modified to switch primary custody if the court finds that to be in the child’s best interests.

When is a Change Substantial Under Maryland Law?

Essentially, major changes in a parent or child’s health, money, or location are the primary grounds courts find for justifying a modification in a family law court order. For instance, if one parent loses a job, that could warrant a change in child support or alimony payments. If a child or former partner needs more medical care, that could also justify a modification in child or spousal support.

If a former spouse moves in with a new lover, that could provide grounds to discontinue alimony. Or if one parent is dating an abusive partner, that could be a justification for modifying custody or visitation rights.

Another situation that could allow the court to modify a decree is if one party discovers that the court order was based on fraudulent information. If one spouse hid assets during divorce proceedings, for instance, then the court could modify the agreement dividing property in divorce. And, of course, if a parent becomes unfit due to illness or substance abuse, that would constitute grounds for a modification of custody or visitation.

Learn How Maryland Modifications Lawyers Could Help in Your Case

Regardless of whether you are the party requesting a modification or the party who wants to keep terms as they are, you need to understand your rights and legal standing to achieve your goals. At the Carmiece Graves Law Firm, we know how to present the evidence to ensure that your side of the story receives full consideration from the court so you can receive a fair outcome.

We work tirelessly to protect mens’ rights and interests in divorce, custody, and support cases. Talk to us today to find out what we can do to help.